Ironton / Avenues (Neighborhood)
Ironton / Avenues (Neighborhood)
Niagara Furnace (later, Tonawanda Iron and Steel) begins producing iron along the Niagara River in 1873, heralding a new industrial phase for the area. The adjacent village built on the marshy land north of Wheatfield Street becomes known as “Ironton,” but today is known as "The Avenues" (of which there were originally seven). Buffalo Bolt, Buffalo Steam Pump and later Roblin Steel provide plentiful employment to the incoming Polish, Hungarian, Italian, Irish and others. Ironton is incorporated into the City of North Tonawanda in 1897.
Oliver street referenced as early as 1840.
1880 Ironton Station Buffalo & Niagara Falls branch of the NYCRR according to Lippincott's Gazetteer of the World
An 1884 Educational report mentions current Ironton school in a frame house half a mile from stone 1866 school. Also has lots of details about new Goundry Street school and a brief mention of Gratwick school and enrollment figures.
1891 "North Tonawanda and Tonawanda" :
IRONTON ADDITION.— With the advent of the Niagara River Iron Works in 1873 brisk times were anticipated and quite a large tract of land was platted into lots in that vicinity. As the furnace was discontinued in about a year, developments were practically at a standstill for more than a dozen years ; but North Tonawanda having grown in the meantime to the old corporation limits, when the furnace was re-opened in 1889, under a new and vigorous management, this land at once became desirable. It was purchased from Pratt c'^r Jewett by Geo. P. Smith and A. J. Hathaway, Oct. 15, 1889, replatted. and Jan. 1st, 1890, put on the market. Within a year 500 building lots had been sold and 100 houses erected. With June of the present year the Ironton Land Co. was incorporated with capital of §100,000 and everything bids fair for a prosperous career, as this is the river center OF THE LUMBER CITY. 57 of North Tonawanda corporation, and being traversed by all the rail- roads it cannot fail to secure prominent manufacturing interests. The Ironton addition is less than a mile from the North Tonawanda City Hall. With the Iron & Steel Works, the surrounding lumber interests and the bolt and nut works of Plumb, Burdict ct Barnard, which has recently been located on the adjoining property, this section of the city will make a convenient and desirable place for mechanics and business firms. It has the water supply, electric lights, and will soon be connected by the electric street car line. A double two story brick block for stores has just been completed on Oliver street, making a nice addition to the mercantile conveniences there, a S15,000 brick school house was erected a couple of years since, a church dedicated in August and this section has all the modern conveniences of the older part of the city.
1890 "The village of Tonawanda is up and awake as far as educational matters are concerned. It has a progressive board of education composed of five members, all liberal men in their views. A new brick school building is nearly completed at Ironton, a suburb of the village, that would be a pride to any town." from annual report.
The paving of Oliver Street being planned August 26, 1893.
A progress report about a month later. October 5 there is labor trouble between Poles and Italians.
John Carr on Facebook in January 2017: "Go back to the 1800's and my great grandfather's farm, as well as several others, was there, extending from the river inland past Payne. The house was originally along the river. Eventually the lumber yards and steel mills pushed the property, and the house back from the river to Oliver (#849 or #869). In the 1890's, after his death, the property was sold off and developed into individual housing lots. At that time the area was annexed to North Tonawanda, before that the area was part of Wheatfield. Carr Street still exists by the town pool. Many of my great grand parents children and their families had homes in the area. We see the area today pretty much as it was developed then, however modernized a bit and not the capitol of industry it was then."
After charter, ground to be broken on first Hungarian Presbyterian church in state, article (Tonawanda News, 1910-10-01).jpg
This tavern at 495 River Road would later be Beachy's, and then Ship of Fools. The photo was contributed by John Olszowka, who also supplied the…
Includes photos and a history of the Polish settlement in North Tonawanda.