Evangelical Center, Mr. Ezzo, photo (Tonawanda News, 1979-03-22).jpg
Dublin Core
Title
Description
-
1950 — Rev. Homer Cooper and his wife arrive in North Tonawanda to lead the English-speaking congregation of Christian Tabernacle.
-
c. 1955 — The Coopers move into the parsonage at 11 Sixteenth Avenue. The house itself appears to date to 1925, so it was evidently an existing residence repurposed as clergy housing rather than a purpose-built parsonage.
-
1956 — Under Cooper, the congregation buys the Avondale Theater, 358 Oliver Street, for $36,000 and converts it into a church. Christian Tabernacle becomes Evangelistic Center and incorporates October 19.
-
April 16, 1965 — Coopers move to a new brick-ranch parsonage at 131 S. Meadow Drive.
-
1967 — The congregation purchases ten building lots on East Robinson Street. Tent meetings are held there on what will eventually become the site of the new church.
-
1976 — After more than 25 years in North Tonawanda, Cooper resigns. Rev. Domenick Ezzo and his wife take over leadership of the congregation.
-
1977 — Under Ezzo, Evangelistic Center becomes Abundant Life Assembly of God. Ground is broken for a new sanctuary and educational complex on the East Robinson property.
-
1978–January 1979 — Construction proceeds; the congregation leaves the old Avondale building and moves into the new church.
-
March 1979 — Ezzo is preparing to dedicate the East Robinson church; the former Avondale Theater/church is for sale.


