These registration features, damn.

Ironton School

Dublin Core

Title

Ironton School

Description

Ironton Public School #2 opened in 1889 at the corner of 1st Ave and Oliver Street (present-day Elizabeth Harvey Apartments / Olmsted Center for Sight). Its teachers educated the young scholars in the "northern" part of the village, known as Ironton (the Avenues, for instance). As early as 1915 it was overcrowded: The school rented rooms across the street to hold kindergarten. Finally in 1926 Ironton Public School #7 (later known as Gilmore School) was built to improve matters. The building was later used as a vocational school (its students and equipment were moved to the new BOCES on Saunders Settlement Rd c.1970). It was briefly considered for the NiaCAP Headstart before being privately purchased to store cars. After years of neglect it was demolished. 

From Tonawanda and North Tonawanda: The Lumber City (1891):
The rapid growth of North Tonawanda in the Ironton district, together with the crowded condition for the union school, demanded increased facilities, and on November 15, 1888, $10,000 was voted to build an edifice in that locality. The amount was increased to $15,000 and the building erected in 1889 is of modern design, and well adapted to school use.

Items